Thursday, May 9, 2013

Review: One Week Girlfriend

Like most writers, I read. A LOT. I’m not a pro book reviewer but every now and again I come across a story I must comment on.

One Week Girlfriend by Monica Murphy



This is a NA and was on sale so I took a chance. The blurb made the story sound like the classic ‘fake girlfriend/boyfriend relationship blossoms into something more’ story. Probably one of my favorite romps through romance, especially when done well.

However, I could not have been more wrong.

*Warning* *Spoilers*

The plot fell completely flat. The beginning had potential but, like many New Adult novels out there, it digressed into sex for the sake of sex which, I’m sure you’ll agree, is boring as hell.

But wait, it gets worse:

Perhaps the most offensive element of this farce is the way in which Murphy handles horribly traumatic and completely unsexy situations like incest, statutory rape, alcoholism, and loss. The ridiculous way in which these heavy, criminal and emotional items are tossed about throughout the book left me….offended.


All around, I was more pissed than entertained by One Week Girlfriend. I will not be reading the sequel.

Have you ever read a book that just made your blood boil - and not in a good way? If so, share your stories here:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...