Monday, December 1, 2014

I Can Haz Productivity: November 2014 Month in Review


November is a wild and crazy month. Well, all months tend to be wild and crazy when you are juggling a day job, a writing job, and family responsibilities. But November is wilder and crazier.

It might have something to do with the fact that November is nestled neatly between Halloween and holidays like Christmas and Hanukkah. So there is shopping, and cleaning, and family, and traveling, and planning, and parties, and gatherings.

And this month was no exception. I went on a trail run with my Sister-in-Law and her husband (Note the silliness of these photos. Best way to keep a trail run light, IMO).


The entire family group went out to eat several times, and there was a rouge bowling trip squeezed in there. We even made a trip to The World of Coke (I've lived in ATL for 10 years and this was my first trip to World of Coke. We had fun tasting all the exotic sodas).


And of course, there was the big Turkey Day extravaganza.


On the business side of things, November is the mad dash to finish projects before year end. Send out those queries before offices close for the season. Work longer hours to finish that project. Wake up earlier so you can write more words. You name it, we feel compelled to do it.

Not to mention that pesky time change that slips into our lives under the guise of an extra hour of sleep. I call BS on that. Sure, that first day it’s nice to have an extra hour. But as we slip deeper and deeper into the darkness of winter my body is thrown for a loop. I just want more sunlight, gosh darn it!

And, on top of all that madness, we try to cram NANOWRIMO into November. What the what? This year I didn’t even try NANO. (If you tried NaNo you deserve a huge pat on the back - celebrate it). After I tried it, and failed, for the last two years I knew November was not the month for me to hit 50k.

But that’s not to say I didn’t write. Cuz I did. And I ran. A lot.

November saw a lot of activity. Some out of town travel - AND out of town guests staying with us – meant I had less time to edit. Here are the details:

1 Revision of WIP undwerway
1 out of town trip to see family
1 Thanksgiving Extravaganza with 13 guests
3 out of guests staying at our place (for the afore mentioned Thanksgiving extravaganza)
1 runDisney costume completed (updates to come)
1 Half Marathon (Yay for the ATL Thanksgiving day Half. Race Recap to follow.)
3 Trail runs
11 gym workouts (including elliptical and personal trainer)
0 novels read for fun (but I’m really feeling the itch. Need to read more)

And words!!! *does happy dance* It’s tough to track all the words written during revisions. You write some you take some away. But there were still words! And any words should be celebrated. So this month’s grand total of 5,924 words. This brings my total ‘tracked’ word count to 138,524 for the year!


And as for miles ran, I am happy to report, 52.8 miles logged. Which brings my total ‘tracked’ mileage to 261.3 miles this year. I’m happy to be falling in love with running again.

All in all, it’s not a bad month. When combined with Oct, Sep, and Aug. I feel like I'm on a roll (Which is good because the year is almost at an end)! I'm looking forward to what the holiday season will bring.

#NeverGiveUp #NeverSurrender

How are your writing goals coming along?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...