Wednesday, April 23, 2014

In Honor of National Poetry Month: William Wordsworh




I can’t honor poetry without giving mad props to my man Wordsworth, William Wordsworth. *said in manner of 007 with improvised British accent* See where I fan girl-ed over him last year in this post.

Wordsworth’s body of work is extensive. And by that I mean awe-inspiringly huge. Which I good, because there are so many poems to love.

I have a palm-sized collection of Wordsworth poems that I keep in my nightstand next to my palm-sized Keats and Declaration of Independence and Constitution of the United States. In other words, I’m a word nerd.

Here’s a great example, of one of my faves:

Among All Lovely Things My Love Had Been – William Wordsworth

AMONG all lovely things my Love had been;
Had noted well the stars, all flowers that grew
About her home; but she had never seen
A glow-worm, never one, and this I knew.

While riding near her home one stormy night
A single glow-worm did I chance to espy;
I gave a fervent welcome to the sight,
And from my horse I leapt; great joy had I.

Upon a leaf the glow-worm did I lay,
To bear it with me through the stormy night:
And, as before, it shone without dismay;
Albeit putting forth a fainter light.

When to the dwelling of my Love I came,
I went into the orchard quietly;
And left the glow-worm, blessing it by name,
Laid safely by itself, beneath a tree.

The whole next day, I hoped, and hoped with fear;
At night the glow-worm shone beneath the tree;
I led my Lucy to the spot, 'Look here,'
Oh! joy it was for her, and joy for me!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Learn more about Wordsworth here. Check out his work here.



What poetry, or other art, do you love enough to keep in your nightstand?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...