Monday, April 7, 2014

I Can Haz Productivity: March 2014 Month In Review




What can I say about March? I had a love hate relationship with March. First, I hated it because I was drowning in edits. But, I loved those edits because it helped my story really shine. Yeah, I got terrific feedback from my beta readers and CP’s so I incorporated some of that feedback into my newly polished, ready-to-query-widely MS. Which is exciting and terrifying at the same time. Those of you who have queried know what I mean *holds hand up for high five* *doesn’t receive high five* *slowly lowers hand in defeat*


But March was more than edits. It wasn’t all about writing, no matter how much I would have liked it to be. I had a lot of work, class, and working out to fit in. I traveled twice – first for a sad, family event in FL. Next, for a work conference in SC. I’m glad I was able to attend both but I wish both were under different/happier circumstances.

In addition, we had to get our taxes in order. If you’ve never done taxes I envy you. Giving more of my hard earned money to the government is a horrible, gut wrenching experience that makes my skin crawl.


I know, I know, there are a million reasons why we have to pay them (and I’m not trying to get all political here. I just really like the money we earn and I hate to see it go). Luckily, we’ve found a great CPA who helped us keep the process as painless as possible.

March is also the first of my quarterly, self-imposed, goal 'pulse-checks'. I usually spend a little time reviewing and reflecting on my goals for the year (I’ll post about my findings later, so swing back by).

And towards the very end of the month we snuck an unexpected, little 5k race in. If you follow me on Twitter you might have noticed my obsession with running is in bloom.




I’ve got big running plans for the year but I’ll have to wait to report details. (Don’t want to jinx anything).

All of that to say, I was busy. My word count suffered but my novel did not. Important distinction? Heck yes!


So what did my month yield? The productivity is as follows:

1 Query letter polished and ready

1 Synopsis polished and ready

1 MS polished and ready (all major/minor edits tackled!!)

4 blog posts written

1 novel read (which is really low for me – I feel the need, the need to read more!)

2 out of town trips

1 5k race

And words, not many words but any words are better than no words *does happy dance *


For a grand total of 5,645 words. This brings my total ‘tracked’ word count to 28,910 for the year! My writing goals are off to a good start. To tell you the truth, my total words are probably higher but I got so turned around trying to track word count while I was editing that I got confused and quit. I only tracked new words written – so new scenes, blogs, outlines for my next WIP etc. I didn’t count words cut from the MS and then the new words added.

And as I mentioned above, I have big running goals this year. Since I’m tracking my writing goals I figure I should also track my running goals. So for the first time, I am happy to report, 29.8 miles logged.

My total ‘tracked’ mileage will grow in the coming months. I’m just happy to be falling in love with running again.


How are your writing goals coming along? How do you determine you daily word goals?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...