Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Review: #Lola and the Boy Next Door by Stephanie Perkins

Some of you have probably picked up on this by now: I’m a huge Stephanie Perkins fan. From her hair to her books I adore her (in a non-scary, fangirl sort of way). And this week is a big week for my favorite book (so far) by Stephanie: Lola and the Boy Next Door.

Lola is a YA Contemp Romance. The cover is getting a facelift which hit shelves this week. Here are the links to buy on Amazon and B&N.


Isn’t it pretty? Very grown up. Stephanie talks about the new covers as a means open the book up to all sorts of new audiences. I, for one, think you’d be hard pressed not to fall in love this Lola. Here’s a brief plot summary I grabbed from the blurb:

*NO SPOILERS – NO CRY*

Lola Nolan is a budding costume designer, and for her, the more outrageous, sparkly, and fun the outfit, the better. And everything is pretty perfect in her life (right down to her hot rocker boyfriend) until the Bell twins, Calliope and Cricket, return to the neighborhood. When Cricket, a gifted inventor, steps out from his twin sister's shadow and back into Lola's life, she must finally reconcile a lifetime of feelings for the boy next door.

My favorite things about this book are the characters. They all jump off the page in fantastic, tactile ways. I can imagine Lola’s hair and makeup. I can see Cricket’s walk. I can sense Calliope’s pride. Stephanie creates a world that is tangible and heartbreaking and I fell, head over heels, in love with it.

The first time I read this book I blew through it in a matter of days. Two days, to be exact. I couldn’t put it down. Then, I re-read it over the weekend because I couldn’t get enough.

It’s a wonderful romp through teenage romance that reminds us all what first love feels like. *sigh*

Five of Five Kitty’s to Lola and the Boy Next Door by Stephanie Perkins.

P.S. During a recent move I lost my hardcopy version of Lola. I was devastated. I bought the ebook but it’s not enough. I’ll be adding the new version of Lola to my book shelf.

Have you read Lola? What did you think?

Want more Lola? Check out Stephanie's blog later this week for a deleted scene.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...