Monday, January 11, 2016

2016 Goals and my personal happiness project


If you’ve swung by this blog in the last few years you’ve probably noticed my strange, sometimes creepy obsession with goals. You might even say I’m Gollum-like in my obsession with goals.


That’s because I believe goals are the fuel of progress. It’s cheesy but true. If you want to change, grow, learn, or do (something, ANYTHING) then setting goals will get you there.


Because success doesn’t materialize like magic. You have to work for what you want. But you don’t want to run blindly at a goal. To make the most of your efforts, and to make large goals more attainable, I say break down your goals into smaller parts.

Last year was a wild ride because I started law school. I shortened my goal year to Jan – Aug instead of Jan – Dec. Aside from that change, however, I stuck to my standard SMART goal process (heck, if it ain’t broke don’t fix it, amirite?). Check out my overview of SMART goals here.


But this year I wanted to try something a little different. You see, I’ve recently finished reading The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin.



The book suggested working on 12 small goals (one each month of the year) instead of a few large resolutions.

I loved the concept. So this year, in an effort to be more flexible (since I’m still in school), I’m doing 12 goals with subparts. Not all of these meet the SMART goal standard. That’s okay. Different is not wrong – it’s just different.

Here’s what I’ll be working on for 2016:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I. Make Room for Life:

a. De-clutter closets, Kitchen and pantry, living spaces, cars

II. Give more of myself:


a. Be more present with Jeremy (develop limits on social media and create no phone zones)

b. Plan a family vacation

c. Make gifts by hand

III. Make time for friends:

a. Visit

b. Do lunch with someone you haven’t seen

IV. Cultivate an attitude of gratitude:


a. Journal

b. Volunteer pro bono

V. Make time for family:


a. Call more

b. Visit with parents, brothers, sister, sister-in-law, brothers-in-law, and in-laws

VI. Make room for things I enjoy:


a. Write more/ Blog more

b. Sing more

c. Dance more

d. Move more

VII. Learn something new:

a. Make up

b. Hair style

c. Take a painting class

d. Take a riding class

VIII. Develop a healthy habit:

a. Care for your skin

b. Floss more

c. Practice mindfulness

d. Cook more

e. See a nutritionist

IX. Give up a bad habit:


a. Break up with soda

b. Stop overeating

c. Stop negative thoughts

X. Have more fun with fitness:

a. Try a new class (cycle or Zumba)

b. Race more (12 5k’s in 2016)

c. Try Yoga

XI. Make time for sewing:

a. Alter/rescue something vintage and cool

b. Costumes for dragoncon

c. Cosplay at dragoncon

XII. Travel:

a. Go somewhere new

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

These are my goals now. I may miss the boat on some of these. That's okay. Not reaching a goal within the desired timeline is not failure. Failure is not trying in the first place.

Also, it is entirely possible that life might get in the way. That's okay. Hell, life is what this whole mess is about anyway (so I say, bring it on). If life gets in the way I'll redefine my timeline or goals life I have in the past.



It's all about balance.



You might have noticed I didn't have a boat load of specific writing related goals on this list. That was intentional. I haven't given up on writing and publishing. I'm still passionate about it. But I want to free myself of arbitrary structure for a while and just write. I can't wait to see what happens.

What are your goals for 2016?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...