Monday, September 29, 2014

My No Sew Tink Inspired Runing Costume #runDisney

One down, three to go. I have completed my first #runDisney costume for the 2015 Goofy Challenge.


One of our couple’s costumes is Tink and Peter Pan. I love the story of Peter Pan (literally one of my faves) and I think I will always have a soft spot in my heart for Disney’s portrayal of Tinker Bell. So, how do we create a costume that screams Tink but is still functional?

Well, I start with a sparkle skirt. I love these things. They are light, breezy, and stretchy enough you can pull them over any of your standard running clothing. Here’s shot of the #TeamSparkle costume idea for Tink.


I followed this pretty closely. See.


Not pictured above are my super-awesome, totes adorbs, shoe pom pom's. I found these near the yarn section in my local WalMart.


Depending on how long your race is you may want a visor or hat. Chances are good that my Tink costume will debut on a shorter race (5k, 10k, or maybe even the half – I don’t have that particular detail planned out yet). So I figured it would be safe to go hatless. That being said, I went ahead and ordered the green sparkle visor from Sparkle Athletic to match my skirt. You know, just in case.

I bought some lime green tights and tank top from Walmart. Add the skirt and *boom* suddenly the costume looks like a fairy. But no fairy costume is complete without wings, amirite?

So I did splurge on wings from the folks at Sparkle Athletic. The best thing about these wings is that they come with instructions on how to affix the wings to your outfit so they don’t do that annoying bouncy thing the entire time you’re running.


Now, as you can imagine, these items aren’t cheap (they aren’t overly expensive either, I think the skirts and wings are actually very fairly priced). But buying your costume takes moolah. So here’s what I did.

First, I plotted my costume ideas months in advance (I started back in March after Handsome Jack suggested we run the Dopey.) If you are just now considering a costume for an upcoming Disney race, don’t fret. There’s still time.

Once I knew which costumes I was going to make I started shopping online for the pieces I knew I would buy (skirts, wings, etc).

Next, with my cost estimates in hand, I created a budget (I called it my Costume Fund. Not a super creative name, I know, but you get the idea).

Finally, once my pennies had accumulated to where I could afford it, I started buying pieces. I bought the tank top and tights first (since they were at Walmart and they were super affordable). Knowing that I was going to be making 4 costumes (one for each of the 4 Dopey Challenge races) I saved a bit longer until I could get all the skirts at one time.


My next costumes all involve sewing. I'm stressed just thinking about it. Ah the things we do to be awesome.

Want tips on making costumes? Check out these posts:


Dopey costume tips

On costumes by Half Crazy Momma

Run Selfie Repeat

Costume Tips from Sparkly Runner

2 comments:

  1. Fun! I bet you'll look like a great Tink. =) Don't forget the bun on top you head!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You'll be a great Tink:) Can't wait to see a photo of you :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...