Thursday, January 16, 2014

Review: A Little Too Much by Lisa Desrochers

Last summer (I just sighed typing those words – It’s so cold!!!) I attended RWA in ATL. At the conference some Agents/Editors were speaking on a panel about NA and YA and the future. They weren’t predicting the future, rather, they were honestly discussing the fact that no one knows the future. Readers, bloggers, authors, agents, and even publishing professionals are unable to predict the future trends.

One publishing professional said (and I’m paraphrasing) “Everyone said love triangles were dead. I never expected to be publishing a love triangle where the MC is in love with her brother and a priest.”

Um, yeah. Who would expect that? That’s crazy. That’s original. That’s attention grabbing. In other words….that’s a hook!

So when A Little Too Far by Lisa Desrochers came out I jumped on it. I was a little surprised that something so racey, so different, came from an established author. Lisa’s a published other books and is known for her Personal Demons Series (check out her blog and/or Twitter). That’s not to say established authors can’t surprise. They just tend not to. They’ve learned the game and they play it. They color within the lines. But not Lisa. Lisa kicked convention in the face with her story about a young girl who falls in love with her brother (albeit, step brother). I didn’t expect the book to be good. But I loved it. Here’s my review of A Little Too Far.

When the next book in the series dropped I grabbed it. I read A Little Too Much in a few days. I didn’t know what to expect – which is my favorite way to approach a book, btw. I find it easier to enjoy something when I have little or no expectations about it. And A Little Too Much did not disappoint.



Not familiar with A Little Too Much? It’s an NA Romance by Lisa Desrochers – here’s a brief synopsis – don’t worry, no spoilers:

Alessandro, the hot, priestly love interest from A Little Too Far is back. He’s returned to New York and is looking for closure from his past and that includes his past love. Hilary is running from her past and clawing at the fringes of a life on stage. When the two meet again they are forced to face some ugly realities that threaten to destroy their budding friendship.

Buy links: Amazon

Some things I really liked about A Little Too Much – Hilary. She’s pretty awesome. And I love just about any book that involves theater. I loved all of my moments on stage – even the embarrassingly awful moments glitter in the light of memories – so I tend to swoon over stories that take place in the theater. But aside from her desire to act, Hilary is awesome because she’s tough and guarded. There isn’t a whole lot of that in NA (that I’ve read so far). And Hilary is convincingly guarded – her inner struggles are believable. I was definitely along for the ride.

I also liked the fact that sex between the H/h happened later in the book. Okay, so I guess that’s a bit of a spoiler but, come on, you knew there’d be sex. It’s an NA Romance, for goodness sakes. The sex was steamy but it wasn’t gratuitous.

My only complaint was that it was slow at times. There’s a bit with a table that after reading I was like “why couldn’t we just skip past this? Did I need the bit with the table?” Which isn’t a complaint, necessarily. It just means I was thrilled with the character development and wanted more meat and less device. All in all, I really enjoyed this book and would recommend it to NA fans. It’s a fast, fun read with lots of steam. I give it 4 cute kitties, for sure.


Have you read A Little Too Far or A Little Too Much? What did you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...