Monday, February 18, 2013
Author Interview: Priya Kanaparti, Dracian Legacy
I'm very excited to have a special guest join the blog today. Priya Kanaparti allowed me to interview her regarding her debut, out this month, Dracian Legacy (buy it here). So let's get started:
1. Hi Priya *waves*. Thanks for being here today. As book lovers I think we all romanticize the birth of ideas that grow up into beautiful novels. How did the idea for your debut, Dracian Legacy, come to you?
Truthfully? I don’t know. *laughs* I had always been a huge fan of magic and supernatural things. I loved watching the whole line of shows on the CW like the Secret Circle, Supernatural, and Nikita. I guess as I watched these shows, a thought came to my mind. What would you do if you were given a second chance at correcting the mistake you never should have done?
From there I started asking questions about who, what, where, when, and how and *bam*, the story formed. It took me about a week of obsessing about the plot and characters before I actually sat down and wrote anything. My first words for the book were the names of the characters and their relationships.
2. Every author seems to enjoy different aspects of the creative process. For you, what was the best part of writing this book? What was the worst part?
The best part about the book was building the relationships. Gosh, I don’t even know how many times I had changed the story plot, just so the right type of relationship could be created.
I'm a sucker for four things: Big brothers = awesomeness, having a guy best friend from childhood is the strongest kind of friendship you could have, your true BFF will never leave your side, and Love conquers everything. I took those elements and went with it.
The worst? Well, I think it’s those writer’s block moments. Or coming up with good scenes that the characters agree with. Because god forbid, I write something they don’t like… *laughs*
3. *swoon* Those elements sound terrific. Now, I know you are very busy: What tricks do you use to balance your time between writing, family, and the day job?
I sneak around a lot. I've even been known to bribe and negotiate at times. LOL. Having a little one makes writing harder than with just a hubby. But we’ve got a system worked out!
4. Do you have any writing rituals or superstitions? (I for one can't write on the third full moon of the solstice...)
Gosh no! However I try to read books in the genre I’m writing or watch lots of action movies when writing action scenes.
5. *hangs head in shame* I guess I'm alone in my crazy rituals. Moving on. Why did you choose the indie pub scene? What do you like about it?
Honestly? I choose Indie publishing because I was afraid of rejection. But as I reached out to all the bloggers and people in the community I really was happy with it. I had the ability to choose what I wanted for the book like my talent designer and brilliant editor! Also I loved meeting so many new people through this process!
6. Sounds like it was a great experience. Which blogs or online resources were the most helpful?
Really, I think Google was my best friend, apart from reaching out to other authors and bugging… er… asking for help. Two in particular went above and beyond to help me in answering all the questions and pointing me in the direction I need to go. Devyn Dawson & Krystle Jones.
7. Tell me, What/who is your favorite book/author?
I think EVERYONE who knows me, knows the answer to this. Without a doubt, Shelly Crane from the Signifiance series (by the way the Movie is coming out valentines 2014) and Jennifer L. Armentrout from the Covenant Series!
8. We all love Twitter and there seems to be no end to supportive authors, editors, and agents online. Who is your favorite Tweep (at the moment)?
It's hard to pick just one Tweep. But my ALL TIME favorite Tweet is by Author Chelsea Fine: “You know a really mean trick to play on a writer? Switch out all their coffee with decaf. Yeah. #husbandjoke #hesgoingdown”
9. So true. I don't know where I'd be without the coffee fairy. Speaking of delicious beverages, how did you celebrate the release of DL?
I never made any plans really. I think I’ll be so exhausted that I’ll celebrate by going to bed early =).
10. You've been a great sport so far but an Author Interview wouldn't be completed if I didn't ask the age old question: are you a Plotter or Panster?
Haha. A total Panster. That’s why it takes me multiple drafts before I get my story straight. Each draft refines the plot, the characters, and the dialogue for me.
To learn more about Priya or her novel, Dracian Legacy, follow the blog tour. Here are a few stops along the tour:
Say it with Books - Book Review & Character Interview
The Book Diaries - Book Review
Books Forget me Knot - Book Review & Pey Interviews Axel
Kidbits - Dracian Legacy Playlist
Fantasy Books - Dracian Legacy Prologue
Also, to celebrate this wonderful book birthday Priya is giving away goodies! Guaranteed winners: 3 winners will receive 1 e-book format of Dracian Legacy and 1 winner will receive a $15 GC to Amazon or Barnes and Noble.
Already own a copy? Do not disrepair. If a winner has already purchased the book, with a proof of purchase, she’ll buy them another book or give a GC of equal or lesser value.
In addition, Priya will continue to add ONE $5 increment GC for every 150 copies of the book (ebook or hardcopy) sold. So for the first 150 copies sold, I’ll add $20 GC, the second 150 copies sold, I’ll add $25 GC, etc… There’s no limit to how many gift cards she'll add to the giveaway.
HERE’S the code for the GIVEAWAY:
a Rafflecopter giveaway