Tuesday, March 4, 2014

DRACIAN LEGACY: Interview with Priya Kanaparti



Last week Dracian Legacy, by Priya Kanaparti, re-launched into the world. And if you’re like me, you’re probably wondering what exactly I mean by ‘re-launched.’ It’s a cool story:

You may remember some of my previous interviews with Priya, about her self pub release of Dracian Legacy . That’s right. It was self pub’d. You might also recall my post about the book finding a publisher. Once DL found a home with a publisher it was worked over by Priya and the editors at Reuts. The end result is a shiny new Dracian Legacy available now. Here's what you need to know about the book:


At seventeen, Ren Pernell knows the meaning of tragedy.

But then, a year after losing her parents, Axel Knight walks through the door and changes everything. Strange creatures start to appear, her best friend suddenly finds her irresistible, and an undeniable, unexplainable bond with Axel threatens to drive her insane. She knows he’s the key. There’s something he’s not sharing, and she’s determined to find out.

Demanding answers, she finally learns the truth: everything she ever believed is an illusion. Caught in a centuries-old blood feud between races she never knew existed, Ren discovers her true destiny. She’s the chosen one, the Echo, preordained to end the bloodshed.

There’s just one catch–in order to save those she loves and a homeland she’s never seen, she’ll have to die.

With the clock running out, she’ll have to navigate a new world of betrayal, lies and deceit. If she can forgive, finding love even in the darkest places, she just might be able to escape the prophecy. But how much is she willing to sacrifice for a cause she didn’t know she was part of? And what will it take for her to be free.



Buy it here.

Today, Priya has stopped by the blog to answer all the questions about DL and her journey to publication:

1. First of all, congrats on the release of Dracian Legacy. *fires cupcake cannons* *does ribbon dance in your honor* And congrats on finding a publication partner in Reuts. What was it like working with all those fab publishing pro’s?

PK --- Thank you Colleen! It's great to be back on your blog. *bows*. As for my publisher, I gotta say, the experience has been wonderful! Reuts Publications is just a little over a year old and Dracian Legacy is their second book that's been released. But the experience with them has been wonderful! Everything that's been planned from the time the contract was signed up until now has been down with professionalism! I didn't have to stress out as much as I had to when I initially released Dracian Legacy as a self-pub. So that was a major plus!

2. Why small/indie press? What attracted you to Reuts?

PK--- The biggest thing that attracted me to Reuts is, one they were small and new, which meant more attention to me. the second reason was their involvement in community! They write articles that really benefit the writing community more than any other publisher I've seen. And the last but my final reason was their EDITOR, KISA WHIPKEY! I swear, I'm soooo in love with her--stalkerish obsessed really. She has an amazing talent when it comes to editing. And truthfully, I learned a lot about writing during DL editing process than I had over the past year or so I've been writing :).

3. Now, I know you edited the crap out of Dracian Legacy before you self pub’d. And I’m sure Reuts put the book through the editorial process again once you signed with them. Some people describe the edit process as a madman yelling at the wind – while others describe it as a methodical archaeologist uncovering the hidden gems of the story. What was the edit process like for you - madman or archaeologist?

PK--- lol. I think you've got it right! It's a MADMAN YELLING AT THE WIND PLUS Archeologist uncovering hidden gems. My editor and I went back and forth on some many of the information that's been in DL, sometimes it was a debate and until one of us convinced the other, we'd continue hashing it out. Then there were other times, during those discussions, we found out ways/secrets to future books in this trilogy :).

4. I like the new cover – so pretty. Often we hear authors talk about how they have no say in the cover selection. Was that true at Reuts or did you have a part in selecting the cover?

PK--- Ashley - creative direction and owner of Reuts Publications worked with me on the cover. And I'm not sure what the experience is for other authors, but mine has been wonderful! Just like the editing process, I had a say in every single, minor details of getting that cover created, down to the different shades of color you see for model eyes :). She was absolutely wonderful and patience while working with me!

5. How is the new book different from the original version? No spoilers, but what surprises can re-readers (like myself – I loved the original, btw) expect to find?

PK--- Well for one, the book has 3 new scenes added, two, with the exception of the first two chapters, ALL the other chapters are not in the same sequence, and finally, we decided to remove alot of the information dump that happened in the original version! But in addition to that we also worked quite a bit on character and plot development!

6. Dracian Legacy is the first in a series. Which is fantastic because I need more Dean in my life. Can you give us any hints about the next book and when we can expect it?

PK--- So the only hints I can give you is that Telal will play more role in this next book and that Ren will be introduced to Dracian culture! As for the timeline, currently we are aiming for July 2014 :).

7. What was the hardest part – and the best part - of writing Dracian Legacy?

PK--- Hardest part is the fact that I didn't think through how the story was going to be in book 2 and 3, until AFTER I wrote the first book. And for the best part? Romance and Dean! lol

8. If you could have any exotic animal as a pet what animal would you pick? (I know I’d pick a lion. No. Too lethal. A platypus. Wait, those have lethal spines on their arms? Okay. A squirrel. No, too secretive. I know. A buffalo. No. too big…)

PK--- oh gosh... Exotic? I think an Elephant, especially one of those that can draw it's own picture. lol.

9. What books are currently in your TBR pile?

PK--- my TBR is million miles long. BUT I can tell you that I'm currently reading Jennifer L Armentrout's White Hot Kiss series :). Kinda excited about getting down and dirty with JLA's writing :).

Thank you once again Colleen for having me on your blog! It's always fun to stop by here!

Thank you, Priya, for coming by the blog. Congratulations on the release!!





Priya lives in the beautiful city of Boise, ID as a full-time working mom and part-time YA Novel Author. For the past 7+ years she has worked in multiple fortune 500 companies and has recently found the passion to read and write. The Dracian Legacy is her first YA paranormal romance series. She strongly believes that true love conquers all and that’s a common theme you’ll find within her novels.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...