Monday, August 17, 2015

The End and other observations of a caffeinated introvert


Wait, what? It's August already *commence panic*



For most of folks August means you are nearly three fourths of the way through the year but for me, (due to my shortened goal year) I am Totally. Completely. Through!! Done. Finished. The End! Omg. Where did the time go?

Today is the first day of class. The first day of my new normal. Before long, I may be pulling an Archer, like this:


But before I get swept up in the newness and energy of my law school life I felt the need to pause, take a breath, and examine my activity thus far. (Because reflection is an awesome tool)

My goals for 2015 were:


Professional: Improving Craft

Take one online writing classes before Aug 2015 – Sorta completed. Okay, so I didn't get to take a legit writing class this summer. The classes I spied on RWA's website started after my goal period ended....so they technically don't count. But you know what did count? My CP and I had an impromptu writer's conference in her home town. So I'm going to count that intense revision activity as my class, because I learned a lot.

Query at least one project before Aug 2015 – Not completed. The idea of querying AND going back to school caused me a lot of heartache. I don't know what this first semester will bring. So, I decided to delay querying. And there is a silver lining to this delay. As a result, I'm going to push forward and write the entire trilogy before I query. This is usually a big no-no but hell, I want the experience and have the time...weeeee!!

Complete 2 revisions before Aug 2015 – Completed - My newer WIP was completed earlier this summer. I also completed a revision on an older WIP and mapped out revisions on a third (still older WIP). I've been up to my eyeballs in revisions.


Professional: Idea Generating

Plot NA sequels before Aug 2015 – Done!!! Yep, I plotted them and I'm in love with the characters. I'm really looking forward to writing them.

Plot YA sequels before Aug 2015 – Done - this book was tough for me. I envisioned it as a stand alone but fell in love with some of the characters at large. I had to map out their stories too...you know, just in case.

Plot UF sequels before Aug 2015 – Done - although this project will likely require major rewriting.

Plot any shiny new ideas before Aug 2015 – Done done done! I'm thrilled to be working on my next project. Plotting has been a huge help for me. I don't know how pantsers do it.


Professional: Efficiency


Define writing time (once law school class schedule is finalized) – Done. But let's be realistic. I'd love to say I can write for thirty or forty minutes every day without interruption...but I simply don't know if that will be true. My goal is to write in the mornings but I may find that time for studying so future revisions to this schedule are entirely possible.

Research alternate platforms before Aug 2015 – Done. I haven’t decided if I’m going to move from Blogger to Tumblr yet but I feel like I’m leaning that way.

Better integrate social media presence before Aug 2015 – Done. I’ve linked my pinterest and goodreads to my blog. So that’s nice.


Personal: Fitness


Run a 10k before Aug 2015 – Done -sorta. The bulk of longer races are offered in the fall and I wanted to run my races prior to starting school. So, instead of running an official, organized race I ran 6.2 miles on the my recent cruise. It was a pretty interesting experience, let me tell you: running while the boat gently pitched and rolled, surrounded by water in all directions. So, although not an official road race I did complete a 10k. I consider this goal completed.

Run 2 or more 5k’s before Aug 2015 – Done. I actually ran three :) Don't get me wrong, I love the half marathon, but nothing beats a fun, fast, 5k.

Define law school fitness time (once class schedule is finalized) – Done. But like my writing time above revisions possible.


Personal: FUN! (Because I’ve heard my 1L year of law school might not be fun)


Go on a Caribbean cruise before Aug 2015 – Done! Check out some pics from my June recap.

Visit Alaska (one of my bucket list items) before Aug 2015 –Done! Check out some of my pics in my July recap post here.

Go camping or backpacking before Aug 2015 (a local fun thing that we sometimes forget to do because we get ‘too’ busy) – Not Completed - but with good reason. Handsome Jack has been the driving force behind camping and hiking. Not that I don't enjoy it but it has really been his baby. However, this year he was more into long rides on his motorcycle. I even went on a long ride with him...otherwise known as the day my butt died. But that's not to say we didn't hike at all. We hiked on a glacier in Alaska (complete with shoe spikes and everything). Handsome Jack even camped, albeit without me. I feel like we completed this task in spirit even though we technically didn't completed it.

Go tubing/float trip before Aug 2015 (another local fun thing that we sometimes forget to do because we get ‘too’ busy) – Done! Went tubing with my brother and his GF.


Personal: Family


Take at least one highway ride on the bike with Handsome Jack – Done! Read about my Biker Con experience here.

Visit STL before Aug 2015 – Done I love my family. We had a blast visiting them in STL and a few brave souls even made the trip down south to visit us.

Visit FL before Aug 2015 – Done. I love my in-laws. I made one weekend trip to visit them and then of course we saw them for the cruise.


So this year I didn't hit all my goals. And I'm okay with that. I'm proud of what I was able to accomplish in 8 months. I'm ready to tackle school and figure out what this 'new normal' will be like.

How are your writing goals coming? Need to make an adjustment? That’s nothing to be ashamed of. I’ve been there. Check out my goal restatement post here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...