Friday, April 5, 2013

Suck it up - You Need To Write a Synopsis


'Wait,' you say, 'I wrote a Query Letter, do I still need to write a synopsis?' The answer is: Abso-freaking-lutely.


*Cue massive freak out*




'Buuuuuuuuuuuuttttttt, not every agent wants one. Whyyyyyyyy do I need one?'



You should write a Synopsis because it's an important exercise. And because at least one Agent on your target list will require a Synopsis. Not to mention the whole you-want-to-be-a-professional-writer thing and professionals wear big-girl-panties and write synopses.

I made the sad mistake of thinking the synopsis was unnecessary. Then, when a super-cool-awesome-Agent that I admire asked for more pages and a synopsis I panicked. I drafted a piece-o-crap summary of my WIP and rushed to send it to the super-cool-awesome-Agent.

She passed of course. And after a good cry, like this:




I got to work polishing my synopsis.

First, I read these blogs to learn how to even write a Synopsis. Check out these posts by Nathan Bransford, Jami Gold, Holly Robinson, The Writers Alley, YA Highway

Then I got to work rewriting my synopsis. Let's just say it was about as easy as grabbing a fish out of a stream.





When you've caught your precious, aka synopsis, it's time to share it with your CP's. Get as much feedback as you can. The synopsis is just as critical to your success as your query letter. Catch the fish, throw it back, and catch a better one.

When you have the best fish in the whole wide world, and your query letter is amaze-balls, it's time to start hitting send.

How did you perfect your synopsis? Did you follow any advice you found to be helpful?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...