Thursday, April 11, 2013

In Honor of National Poetry Month, Robert Frost





I personally cannot think of American poetry without thinking of Robert Frost. Maybe it’s because I grew up all over the Midwest and his imagery and subject matter feel like home.

I love how I can curl up in his words and feel the very warmth of the scene.

When I was studying in London my professor said Frost was one of the greats. He asked if everyone knew Frost and shockingly some of the European students didn’t know him. "0_o" My jaw hit the floor. What do they teach those kids over there? LOL.

The professor played a recording of Frost reading his own work and I got chills. To hear the man I had respected all these years reading the words I had loved all these years. I may have geeked out a bit.

Here is my all time favorite Frost poem. I hope you love it too.

Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening – Robert Frost

Whose woods these are I think I know.
His house is in the village, though;
He will not see me stopping here
To watch his woods fill up with snow.

My little horse must think it queer
To stop without a farmhouse near
Between the woods and frozen lake
The darkest evening of the year.

He gives his harness bells a shake
To ask if there is some mistake.
The only other sound's the sweep
Of easy wind and downy flake.

The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just love the cadence of the last two lines. I feel like just reading them makes me tired.

Brilliant.

You can learn more about Robert Frost and his work here. Check out compilations of his poetry here.



What do you love about poetry?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...