Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Current Obsession From A Musical Or Comdey



Music is inspiring. It energizes us, moves us, and gets our creative juices flowing.




Last year, I had the pleasure of doing a guest post on The Writer Diaries blog about music as inspiration. If you don’t know The Writer Diaries you should check it out here.


It forced me to acknowledge the power music has to influence my writing. It was a great exercise and I decided that I am going to track the songs that inspire me most. (What better way to keep inspiration on tap, for those little emergencies? You know the ones….when we’ve hit a brick wall and the words aren’t coming. Yeah, those emergencies.)

Right now, I can’t get Let It Go, from Frozen out of my head.



Title: Let It Go
From: Disney's Frozen

If you haven’t heard of Disney’s Frozen you might be living under a rock (check your surroundings for large amounts of dirt, stones, and small rodents to confirm). It’s an adorable movie about believing in yourself.
I have this on my phone so I can play it anytime, anywhere.

I mostly play it in my car to, or from, my Day Job. In my car I can sing along at the top of my lungs (which is the only way to sing along with a kick ass song like this).

Here are some of the lyrics:


Don’t let them in, don’t let them see
Be the good girl you always have to be
Conceal, don’t feel, don’t let them know
Well, now they know

Let it go, let it go
Can’t hold it back anymore
Let it go, let it go
Turn away and slam the door

I don’t care
What they’re going to say
Let the storm rage on,
The cold never bothered me anyway

It’s funny how some distance
Makes everything seem small
And the fears that once controlled me
Can’t get to me at all

It’s time to see what I can do
To test the limits and break through
No right, no wrong, no rules for me
I’m free

Let it go, let it go
I am one with the wind and sky
Let it go, let it go
You’ll never see me cry

Here I stand
And here I'll stay
Let the storm rage on

Here's the clip on Youtube



I think this song is more personally relevant than it is to say, any current world building/storytelling. I wish I had this song on repeat when I queried my first novel. Instead, I mostly listened to the sounds of my own sobs as the rejections came in like wrecking balls. *laughs awkwardly* *adjusts hair out of face* But we all went through that, right?

Now, I have this song happily snuggled in my brain.


What songs have inspired you or your work right now?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...