Monday, December 16, 2013

I Can Haz Productivity: #NanoWriMo recap 2013


As some of you might have noticed, my 'month in review' post for November is late. I usually post my monthly word count recaps the first week of the following month.

My November post is late because I didn't win Nano and I'm struggling with what that means. I didn't come close. I actually wrote fewer words during Nano this year than the year before. Oh well. I can't bring myself to be disappointed but I can bring myself to a conclusion: NaNoWriMo is not for me. It's just not. That doesn't make me any less of a writer. In fact, I feel very accomplished in spite of missing the 50k word target.

November was a wild month, as it is for most people, with travel, and holidays, and family, and work. It's difficult to fit writing into your daily life in a non-holiday month. And although thousands of writers finish Nano each year, it's not a good fit for me.

I still had a very productive month: I spent time in Florida and Missouri. I ran a 5k with my family and competed in the Baker's Dozen auction (which posted in November but the auction took place in December). I was so honored and thrilled to be a part of this huge event. (Don't know about the Baker's Dozen? Check out details here. Visit my piece here.)

I've said it before, but I'll say it again, contests are wonderful, humbling experiences. I learned a lot. Met a lot of great people via Twitter and had a great time.

November was also the end of my parole from Corporate America. I started a new job and that means getting up earlier, spending hours on the computer doing stuff OTHER THAN writing, and dressing pretty (I haven't forgotten you, yoga pants. We'll always have the weekends. *looks longingly at yoga pants*.) It's a fun job and the people are fantastic.

All in all, I didn't have much time for writing. No, scratch that, because it's all about priorities. I prioritized other areas of my life above writing. That's not to say I didn't write. I did. But other areas of my life had to take center stage last month. No shame in that.

Happy Employee Shot - taken before heading to my first day at the new job


Sunrise from my new cube



So what did my month yield? The productivity is as follows:

12 blog posts
2 novels read
1 contests entered
And words, lots of words *does happy dance*

For a grand total of 13,340 words. That’s my Not the best month ever - and no, I did not hit my 800 word a day goal, but any month with words is a great month. Check out how I did in Oct, and Sep, and Aug

This brings my total ‘tracked’ word count for the year to 149,587! *blinks* *blinks some more* I just can’t believe it. I feel so legit because that’s a lota words.


How are your writing goals coming along?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...