Thursday, November 7, 2013

Review: WHAT HAPPENED TO GOODBYE by Sarah Dessen


Sarah Dessen is famous for her YA Contemp’s (she's prolific) and I'm embarrassed to say I hadn’t read her. At least, until now. I noticed a recent title was on sale so I gobbled it up.



WHAT HAPPENED TO GOODBYE is a sweet, YA Contemp about a perpetual new-girl coping with her parent’s divorce. I loved the authentic was in which Dessen captured the stresses, and occasional benefits, of the new-girl lifestyle. Having moved around a lot her MC rang true for me.

Here’s the blurb:

Since her parents' bitter divorce, Mclean and her dad, a restaurant consultant, have been on the move - four towns in two years. Estranged from her mother and her mother's new family, Mclean has followed her dad in leaving the unhappy past behind. And each new place gives her a chance to try out a new persona: from cheerleader to drama diva. But now, for the first time, Mclean discovers a desire to stay in one place and just be herself - whoever that is. Perhaps her neighbor Dave, an academic superstar trying to be just a regular guy, can help her find out.

I really enjoyed this story and the spark-filled romance. I personally like my romance a little steamier. At times I found the narrative was heavy-handed – a little in my face. Is that common with Dessen books? (or was it just me?)

I give WHAT HAPPENED TO GOODBYE three kitties for being a sweet, authentic, fun read.

What are your favorite Sarah Dessen reads?

1 comment:

  1. This sounds interesting. I haven't read very many contemporary YA titles. I may be the only YA writer in the world who has never read John Green. Maybe this will become my new mantra: read more contemporary YA. Thanks for posting this!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...