Thursday, May 23, 2013

Book Review: Walking Disaster

Like a lot of people I enjoyed McGuire’s first Disaster novel. So no surprise, I was eagerly looking forward to the Travis Maddox experience promised in the sequel.

Walking Disaster by Jamie McGuire



However, I was disappointed with the Travis Maddox installment for two reasons *Warning*Spoilers*:

1. Walking Disaster was literally a retelling of Beautiful Disaster. The dialogue was the same. The story was the same. It was completely, utterly boring – not because of any failing by McGuire – because I’d already read Beautiful Disaster. If I had wanted to read it again I would have.

It’s also hard to suspend my disbelief at this point. I just can’t believe hot-headed Travis remembered everything the same way as Pidge. Btw, I flipping hate that nickname. It actually makes my skin crawl. Mist people agree that pigeons are dirty rats with wings that spread disease. It’s not a term of endearment as far as I’m concerned. I only use it here because I can't remember her real name.

But I digress. My point is this: I’ve been married for 7 years and my husband and I never, EVER, remember things the same way. It’s beyond implausible that Travis and Pidge would remember the events the same way – especially the dialogue. I could not suspend my disbelief.

2. The mystery is gone. Abso-freaking-lutely gone. Part of the thrill of reading Beautiful Disaster was always wondering what the heck Travis was thinking. Now that I know, and the knowing was nothing earth-shattering amazing, the mystery has fizzled out.


Walking Disaster wasn’t terrible. It just wasn’t new or exciting.

What did you think? Share your thoughts here:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...